I've Been Tagged: Eight Random Things


Hedwyg over at practicing intentional thoughts has tagged me...

I have to post these rules before I give you the facts.

1. Each player starts with eight random facts/habits about themselves.

2. People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.

3.At the end of your blog, you need to choose eight people to get tagged and list their names.

4. Don’t forget to leave them a comment telling them they’re tagged, and to read your blog.


Ok. Here goes.

Random Things About Me:

1. In addition to my M.Div I also have an MSW. I earned this dual degree in a concurrent graduate studies program offered between a local universities School Of Social Work and a local Episcopal Seminary. I specialized in family systems for congregations in my MSW work having real desire to be a one on one therapist (although I think highly of them and have seen several in my lifetime - just not my direction at this time). I think, when I first went for the dual degree my hope was to work as a chaplain in a hospital and then combined with my certification in Massage Therapy to have a holistic private practice in Mind, Body, Spirit utilizing massage therapy (or some form of body work) along with spirituality and talk therapy. I thought it would be really cool work.

2. Instead of going into private practice I found myself going into parochial ministry. In the course of my seminary and social work internships I found that I really loved the rhythm of parish life. And I love the opportunity to walk with people through a life time - from birth to death, and their families as well. I think I do a pretty good job of caring for the congregation and balancing all the various components. And the MSW guides me through the tough times and helps me make wise decisions about a course of action. While it's not the answer to everything I do recommend family systems training to clergy, it can help is a lot of situations.

3. I have worn my hair really short, the shorter the better, for about six years. Now I am growing it out. I guess I should talk to my Jungian Analyst about this. I'm sure it must mean something about my inter psychic life. (Looking for new growth, growing myself in so many ways...new life, new me?? all of the above and more). I have mixed feelings about growing it. Although it is relatively painless, especially when the weather turns hot and humid and I can just let it go and curl. Still I miss the ease of real short hair. And. I know that after I have grown it out and worn it longer for a few years, I'll cut it off again. And start the cycle all over. It's what I've done for years. I used to think that my hair was a projection of myself and therefore it always had to look good. Now I realize that I do stuff to it just to amuse me. I've been happier with my hair ever since.

4. I used to meditate twice a day, every day. I love meditating. But for the last two years I haven't. Just can't. Don't want too. My Jungian thinks this is because I've been so outward focused in my "energy" with job searching and interviews and processing my life. I think he's right. But instead I've taken to meditating while walking. Walking with my dogs has become of form of prayer for me. It's really wonderful. Of course I prefer to walk in the Spring, Summer, and Fall. I don't like navigating unshoveled walks, chunks of ice, and bundling up in multiple layers for the winter walks. I hibernate. (Yeesh, poor dogs). But this time of year - fabulous. So, I'm like Tobit, walking prayer with dogs.

5. Up until recently I was hired at every job I applied for. Now, for two years I have been discerning a new call and interviewing at various places around the country. I have not taken a new call. Sometime the call was not offered, other times I withdrew. This process is causing me some very deep reflection. On the one hand small church is struggling. On the other hand small church is growing. On the one hand I thought I wanted to move west to be near family. On the other hand we have family here. And our children have their lives here. And my husband doesn't want to move. So. All potential moves come with conflict. Now I think I will limit my search to a new church in this area. Which means I won't be doing much of anything soon. But later this summer and into the fall and in the next few years I will have several great places to consider. So. we'll see. And maybe small church will continue to grow and all will be well.

6. When I was younger one of the things I did for cardiovascular work out was jump rope for an hour. I was in great shape. I danced regularly (modern, ballet)... Now, post two babies and 50 y/o, no more jumping rope, or running. But I do bike ride (stationary or outside), walk, and a 20 minute abs and upper body - arm work out with weights. And some Yoga. I've been pretty active my whole life.

7. In 1980 something (the year Mt. St. Helen's blew) I planned a long distance bike ride with a girl friend through a state north of here. We trained all summer and headed out in August. Camping gear, bikes all stocked, route planned. It was glorious. Until the rain. Mt. St. Helen's ash was causing terrific down pours. We got rained out. Ran out of money. Ended up in a cool university town where we spent a day and night and then took the train home. We travelled about 1/2 of our planned trip of 300 miles. It was still a great trip.

8. I have vacation time planned for August. But I think I need to take a personal retreat. I know where to go, I just need explore some dates and plan it. Maybe in July. I'll spend the time walking, reading, praying, worshiping with the monks. Renewing my energy. I try to take one retreat a year.

Now I need to decide who to tag. I need to choose eight. Yikes.

1. Grace-Thing here
2. Hipastorswife2B here
3. HotcupLutheran here
4. Deb here
5. Diane
6. Sally here
7. Rev Abi here
8. Quakerpastor here

Comments

Diane M. Roth said…
Yikes! How fast do I have to do it? Is there a timeline?
Terri said…
No diane, play whenever you are able!
Sally said…
wow what cool random things- I'll have a think and get right on to playing!
Deb said…
OK I'm in. But first I have to take a Greek final (erg) and listen to a lecture on church administration...
maybe tomorrow by the time those things get accomplished!
:)
deb
I played... but postponed choosing 8 more lucky winners... at least for the time being.
Terri said…
I agree. Choosing the eight lucky ones felt kinda risky...I don't really know, yet, who's game and who'd like to play, or who would find this an annoyance...

But I'm coming over to see what you said!
Unknown said…
I love the sound of a personal retreat. I wish such things were built in as requirements in my denomination!
Sally said…
I played...
Grace thing said…
Thanks for the tag. That was fun.
Terri said…
Grace, you're welcome! Good play.
And Sally, thanks, good play as well! Check 'em out.

and check out Deb. She hasn't played, yet :-) but she has a good post for today.
Rev SS said…
Wow, today was a busy tag day ... I got tagged too .. now I'm off to read all these!
Diane M. Roth said…
Ok, just wanted to let you know that I did it... only could find 6 people to tag so far... this was fun, though. I'm impressed with your jump roping! For an hour! I can never do it for more than a few minutes! Is there a trick to it?

But LOVE walking the dog and think that should count as BOTH exercise and spiritual.
Terri said…
Cool. I'm heading over to read diane and serena...

jumping rope, at that time (25 years ago) I was just in great shape from lots of dance, bike riding, and exercise in general...now, not so much. But yes, I think walking medition might count for both...thanks for playing!
Nancy said…
You are such an interesting person. I enjoyed reading this!
QuakerPastor said…
I played late and short...
QP

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem