Skin

My husband does not like this new pink blogskin. It's too pink, he says. And he didn't like the first photo I had in the header...although it too was of a sunset it was too busy with the busyness of the skin. (Can you tell that my husband use to work in graphic arts?)...So I explained to him that I wanted something sort of "Valentine's Day-like" and that I tend to change the skin for the season...I actually like the skin, I am kind of a romantic at heart and love old textures - this reminds me of some old wall paper that one would find in a fine old house... quality-fine.

My skin is going through some changes too. As I approach my 53rd birthday, just a few weeks away, I am keenly aware of the changes happening to my skin. First of all, despite the fact that I exercise a fair amount, my skin is sagging. Secondly, I have gained weight, so I have more skin. Mind you, my weight is still ok - but I'm not the thin lean woman I always was...now I just look middle aged. I'm ok with it. And, my husband loves this skin, so that's nice considering almost 25 years of marriage.

Yesterday I tried, for the first time, a yoga DVD from Gaiam, called, Gravity and Grace. It's Hatha Yoga, which I love. Or at least its supposed to be Hatha Yoga. Frankly I had a hard time figuring out what this guy was doing - the postures were just plain weird. And hard!! And occasionally impossible for me to contort my body let alone hold it. Still, by the time the 96 minutes were over I felt awesome. So, I'll do it again. But not until I recover - my muscles ache all over. I thought they might.

Thankfully today I have a massage. That is a good thing for my skin. It is also a good thing for these aching muscles. And it's a great thing for my mind and spirit!

Gravity and age are taking their toll on my skin. Some days I barely recognize myself. Some days I don't like it at all. Most days, though, I'm ok with it. I work at staying healthy: mind, body, and spirit. And in that there is grace.

Comments

Jan said…
I don't feel critical of your blog changes; I like them. I am feeling like 53 is young, because this year I turn into 60! I won't be middle-aged so much as "old." But you are looking good in the pictures you post. Interesting about the dvd; sorry it wasn't more to your liking.
Rev Nancy Fitz said…
What's a good beginner DVD for yoga, I want to try but am intimidated. The pink is nice and the picture wonderful. I haven't changed my background since I opened my blog. Perhaps that investigation is for another day.As for skin, it was when I first saw my mother in the mirror that I realized my age. "What are you doing there?" I asked, but here she is 'in my skin.'
Terri said…
I've had that same thought about my mother in my skin! funny....

I have another DVD from Gaiam called, AM/PM yoga for beginners. It's just 20 minutes for each session, much more simple and gentle. Then a step up from that is the Yoga Conditioning for Women (also Gaiam).
Rev Nancy Fitz said…
thanks for the tips, i'll check out the dvds
altar ego said…
I like the skin--romantic and valentiney, as you desired. And I LOVE the photo. Beautiful, rich colors. Yum. Good for you for tackling the yoga. I've always wanted to do tai chi, and a friend recommended a dvd that I really should get my hands on. Peace and grace to you!
Crimson Rambler said…
One of our poets talks of putting on her coat and seeing her mother's hand emerge from the sleeve...
this is barely pink... really.

isn't there a commerical that says "love the skin you're in"???
Terri said…
oh, HC - you are soooo right...obviously I don't use that product..or I'd remember what it is....but yes, correct. And, I do love the skin I'm in, even if it is bigger and saggier than it use to be...
Lori said…
I like the pink and the pretty design. It works for me.

7 years ago I had skipped my mother and looked like my grandmother. My skin sagged on my face with a promise of giant jowls to come in a matter of months. A lot of this was because I had spent 9 years being treated like a reviled piece of property.

So I had plastic surgery. And I've never regretted it.

And I envy those of you whose lives have enjoyed being loved as you are and are comfy with your original skin. I have had very little of that. So it's good I like my skin now.

There's a sermon topic for you: Original skin.
Terri said…
OH, PG - that is a great sermon topic - original skin. Good for you, having plastic surgery...but sad for you being treated that way. Sucks big time.
Sue said…
I'm glad you're enjoying the yoga DVD! I'm getting a massage this afternoon - wow, do I ever need it!
I think the new blog skin is very romantic looking.

I'm really bad about taking care of my skin . . . not my face, but my body. I can never remember to moisturize. I'm sure I'm really going to look dreadful someday . . . and much sooner than I think.

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem