Friday Five: NEVER AGAIN! edition

Deb, over at RevGals offers this Friday Five:

You may have read David Foster Wallace's essay "A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again" where he notes his lack of enthusiasm for going on a cruise. (That's putting it in a nutshell. It's hilarious. Do read it!) However, I think it (perhaps) is just a wee bit of a hyperbole. ;) Some of our awesome RevGals are heading out on the next BE 6.0 (Big Event) for a cruise. They absolutely will have an amazing time.....

All this is the inspiration for this week's Friday Five! 

Perhaps you have tried something that everyone assured you was SO MUCH FUN!!! and you swore on a stack of Bibles that you would never ever be dragged to said activity ever again. Was it horseback riding? Rappelling? Ballet class when you were 7?

So share with us 5 Supposedly Fun Things You'll Never EVER Do Again. You may find some commiserating souls among us. A bonus if you share pictures.

Surely I can think of 5 things I'll never do again..or maybe never do ever?

1. In the 1980's my dad lived in Puerto Rico and owned a sail boat. One year I went to visit my dad with my new husband in tow and we went sailing on the Caribbean - perhaps the most beautiful ocean ever.  But I was terribly motion sick for the entire first day and the ear patch I used knocked me out so I slept most of that first day - of a two day sailing trip. So, alas, I probably won't ever go sailing on the ocean again. Nor, on a cruise. Actually, the very idea of a cruise causes me to become a bit claustrophobic...so, no I won't go on a cruise, not my idea of fun at all. Sailing on a lake, however, seems to be okay - or at least it was the last time I tried it...but I was, uhm sixteen...so maybe not now that I am almost 56. :-)

2. A high ropes course. No, I won't do that either. Nor would I repel off the side of a mountain. But I'll go hiking in mountains anytime.

3. Eat pineapple or kiwi - I have developed a terrible allergy to these fruits. sigh. So I can't and won't eat them nor can I eat any fruit or food that has come in contact with these...so, that means I often don't eat fruit salad. sigh

4. Be a runner. Unless I can acquire more strength in my pelvic floor muscles my running days are over. (Okay, I never was a runner, but I would like to be and use to try)...After years of core work, which has enabled some strength to return, but not enough..no, I'll never be a runner. But I can walk :-) and ride my bike and do other kinds of cardio work out.

5. Summer sleep-over camp for youth...sorry, sleeping on smelly old dirty bunk bed mattresses is not my thing. Nor do I really enjoy camping out and sleeping on the ground. But I do love cabins in the woods so long as I can have my own bedroom and I love the night sky filled with stars.

This was harder than I thought it would, more difficult to think of five things I'd never do again. And of course I just thought of anything - roller coasters and fast twirly rides, most any ride at an amusement park - I'll go to them but I'm not a fan of the rides...

Okay, now I'm done. And, actually not completely convinced that I'd NEVER do any of these, but right now at this moment my intention is to never do them again. (smiles)

Comments

PrJoolie said…
You sound like you tried way harder at the running thing than I ever did. Nope, not for me. It was hard probably because you are open to new experiences. Good for you. Peace.
me too, to each of your 5 'nevers'. I had thought I'd start with reading the posts before even attempting one b/c 5 sounded like a LOT, but now I see that's not as hard as imagined..
Thx for posting, Terri!
Mary Beth said…
Nope,I'm not gonna be running either. No way, no how.
Anonymous said…
I am SO with you. We must be kinfolk! :) Thanks for playing.
Anonymous said…
I'm with you on the summer sleep-over camp. You took me back to all those school trips I chaperoned. Yuck! Hope the kids had fun.
Margaret Almon said…
This reminds me of when I ordered high tea for my birthday about 10 years ago and it was garnished with a lot of raw fruit, and my lips started to swell. Not fun!
Margaret Almon said…
This reminds me of when I ordered high tea for my birthday about 10 years ago and it was garnished with a lot of raw fruit, and my lips started to swell. Not fun!
Margaret Almon said…
This reminds me of when I ordered high tea for my birthday about 10 years ago and it was garnished with a lot of raw fruit, and my lips started to swell. Not fun!

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem