Monday Morning Musings

It has been a long time since I have written a Monday Morning Musings reflection. This use to be my norm for a day-off Monday morning, but lately I just haven't had it in me....

So here it is Monday. It's snowing outside, a beautiful soft snow. I have a fire burning in the fireplace, hot coffee, and nothing really that I have to do today. Kind of my perfect day off scenario. I do intend to exercise and read and just enjoy this winter day. I am grateful that we are having a real winter this year!

I'm resting today after a crazy couple of weeks. At the church we sent our team, our delegation, off to Liberia. It was an amazing journey. They returned with so much insight and so many stories to share. They came back with gifts, too. One gift is a chasuble and stole, made of white silk and blue and white duck cloth - which I wore in church yesterday. (You can see the stole in the header, below is picture of me at the altar with the chasuble on as well...)






The photo does not capture the beauty of this handmade garment, nor the profound sense of joy I had while wearing it - knowing where it came from.

Following the trip to Liberia I had to prepare for and lead the annual meeting. Then this week we had a Rite 13 ceremony and next week is our Vestry retreat followed by Ash Wed and Lent begins. Goodness. All of that required a lot of preparation and time....

So, I am grateful for a quiet day. As a family we enjoyed the Superbowl. We had homemade baby back ribs for dinner, cooked in the slow cooker all day and then finished in the oven with some BBQ sauce. We also had homemade twice baked potatoes and steamed veggies. It was simple, but delicious. We watched the game, rooting for the Baltimore Ravens (not that we had a bone in the game one way or the other...in fact we could have rooted for the 49'ers since their coach use to play for the Chicago Bears....but it is our tradition to root for the "under-dog"...). We were delighted that the game was a nail-biter, and that in the end the Ravens won. We also watched, during commercials or the delay, the first five years of Saturday Night Live....hilarious. It was a good night of family fun.

This week will be busy as I prepare for the Vestry retreat. Thankfully it is being led by Jim Gettel, who is our Vestry Consultant and who has worked with me for a long time. He's good and I look forward to having him with us. He will also preach on Sunday, so I get a day off from that....and get to listen to another voice break open the word.

Anyway, that's my week. What about yours?

Comments

Gaye said…
I have been so interested to hear about yourLiberian venture. Just as I am delighted by the oppositeness of our seasons. You have encouraged me to find ways to appreciate our winters.
what a yummy meal you had on Sunday! lip-smacking good it sounded like...

this week... preparing. catching up. training and getting acquainted with the new canine Lucky Latte... so glad to have him home!!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem