Friday Five: plugged in

Jan over at the RevGals offers this Friday Five:

....my husband and I are going to be in Washington State during his spring break (from teaching at a local community college). His parents have very recently moved into a senior living facility. We will be staying at their home, which will not have some of the furniture and supplies like we are used to. What I am dreading is no computer, tv or telephone, which also means no wifi connection. This is showing my dependence upon these technologies.

For this Friday Five, let us explore our use of and desire for such items.

1. What types of technologies, like cell phones, computers, tvs, etc., do you routinely use? How frequently?
I'm not fond of television, but I do have a few favorite programs I watch every week: The Good Wife, Grey's Anatomy, Elementary, SMASH, and NCIS/NCIS LA. I am plugged in most of the time - I check my email, Facebook page, and blog every morning and afternoon. Actually, I check email often, using my cell phone if not my computer or iPad. I read books off of my Kindle, use my iPad to preach from and hold my knitting patterns (in PDF). I use a lot of technology, like and appreciate ALL of it.

2. What social media and/or games do you like to play? How often? On which device do you occupy yourself? Which method of social media do you prefer? I'm not really fond of social media games - too busy. I get into ruts though and will play Scrabble or Solitaire for hours. I do use Facebook both personally and for the church.

3. Do you separate online activities between home and work? Or is it all the same everywhere? Same, everywhere. Well, on the desktop computer at work I can only check work email, and I usually only check or update the Church Facebook page...if I happen to bring my iPad to the office I can check all of it.

4. Do you have a smart (or I-) phone? yes. I use an iPhone because it transfers my data, calendar, reminders, notes, Kindle books, photos, music, etc. directly to iPad and vice versa - so I always have the info I need. I like that!

5. What do you wish you had--or do not have--in relation to these devices?
I really wanted a Kindle, and then a couple of months ago I won one at a fundraiser. First time I ever won anything! I also have a very old laptop, which replaced my not as old laptop. But using new church operating system and software, the old laptop is almost as good as a new one....however, eventually I will need to replace it. My previous lap top was a piece of crap and I have to say that I am less than impressed with Best Buy's warranty, repair, and replacement work - won't ever buy another extended warranty from them...at least if that last computer is any indication of the kind of work they do....one problem replaced by another - motherboards dying (three of them), hard drive....ack. It was so awful I swore I would never buy another PC. So, whenever this old laptop goes, I hope to get a MAC.

Comments

i highly recommend macs... splurged and have never regretted it! i'm not nearly as plugged in however...
Jan said…
I'd like a MAC too but my husband is stridently against them. My daughters love theirs.

I just discovered NCIS recently, even though it has been around for 10 seasons. The good thing about this lapse is I can watch reruns and they are all new to me! It is really fun.
Margaret Almon said…
My very first computer was a Mac Classic in 1992! I got an iPad this year and I enjoy more than I expected!
Margaret Almon said…
My very first computer was a Mac Classic in 1992! I got an iPad this year and I enjoy more than I expected!
Terri said…
Margaret, my husband sold MAC's for 20 year....we had a Mac from the lat3 1980's until the ealry 2000's....then his small computer company went out of business and he had to work for a PC company...ack. It's all we've been able to afford since, but at a significant cost and loss....sigh

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem