Sally over at RevGals writes: I've just returned from a meeting in Cambridge so I'm posting this late here in the UK (it is 3:45pm).. because I took the opportunity of a free afternoon in Cambridge's wonderful book shops... I only bought a few- and they were on sale- very restrained for me!!!So with my head full of books I've seen and a long wish list in my mind, I bring you a Friday Five on books!!!
1. Fiction what kind, detective novels, historical stuff, thrillers, romance???? I like fiction. It can be any of the above. I like a good story about human struggle and redemption - I like to read about people growing and learning. I like humor and I like nature/adventure/reflection novels by authors such as Barbara Kingsolver, Terry Tempest Williams, etc.
2. When you get a really good book do you read it all in one chunk or savour it slowly? I read it in one chunk, although that is usually over the course of a day or two, I don't read that fast, but also I always have other things I have to do.
3. Is there a book you keep returning to and why? Other than the Bible, no. Once I've read a book I almost never go back and re-read it. Except poetry, that I re-read often.
4. Apart from the Bible which non-fiction book has influenced you the most? Too many to choose from. I read a lot. Maybe, Women and Desire, by Polly Eisendrath; the various books and writings of Carol Gilligan on the psychological development of girls and women; perhaps Diana Butler Bass's series on practicing congregations...oh my, I could go on and on
5. Describe a perfect place to read. ( could be anywhere!!!) I like to read in my family room with windows open, or on the deck. Lots of fresh air and good light.
The readings that we chose for the service tonight were all picked specifically for this service because they lift up the role of women ...
There a few elements of life common to all people. Basically they include living, loving, suffering, and dying. All of us experience these a...
I have a good friend who is always late for everything. Whenever my friend and I schedule a date to get together I plan to arrive 15 minute...