RevGals Friday Five: Hasty Edition

Reverendmother over at RevGals write: Whoops! I have been in a family-induced haze these few days, with the July 4 holiday and taking time off while relatives are visiting. So I literally lost track of what day it was!

So rather than make you guys wait even one minute longer for the five, I'll dig up an oldie:


Today, what are you:

1. Wearing tan khaki shorts, dark blue sleeveless cotton T, tevas. that's enough for this hot day. (And I even went into the office dressed this causal, no make up even, and hair pushed back with a headband, 'cuz I'm still getting used to it growing out).

2. Reading "The Elegant Gathering of White Snows" bu Kris Radish. "How Does a Poem Mean?" bu John Ciardi. "The Progressive Christian" magazine.

3. Eating raspberry Keifer for breakfast, a hot dog for lunch, and homebaked BBQ baby back ribs with homemade potato salad for dinner, with left over pie for dessert.

4. Doing I have already set up the church for a private baptism tomorrow (I never do private baptisms, always on a Sunday in the midst of worship. But the Deputy Fire Chief called me months ago asking if I would baptize his niece. The family is Roman Catholic, except the father of the baby, who is Church of England - but living in Minnesota. The father of the baby wants his daughter baptized in the Episcopal Church, and I was asked to do it. How could I say no. Of course I would do it...so. A family baptism. I am baptizing her into a loving complex Christian family, just not a specific church). SO. set up for that, including worship booklets done so it is easy for everyone to follow along. Now. I've just finished lunch, as mentioned above. I need to work on sermon for Sunday, various meetings for next week, finish making the potato salad (potatoes and eggs boiled and cooling in the fridge...did that early this am during my "found time" per an earlier post). Walk my dogs, etc.

5. Pondering Not much. I've decided not to ponder much of anything this summer. I'm going to practice "being" instead of pondering. Being in the moment. That about matches my energy level and creativity (or lack there of).

Comments

what time's supper?

Anyway now you've got me pondering being instead of pondering pondering... but that kind of defeats the purpose of being right? (See this is how my mind works when I'm trying to pound out a sermon... augh. Hope you're having a better go of it.)
ellbee said…
John Ciardi! Excellent. Did you know there is a podcast of some of his old etymology "talks" on NPR?
Oh and there's a great book on poetry by Stephen Fry (the British actor/writer/funny man). Highly recommend it, but can't for the life of me remember more than the word Ode from the title.
ellbee said…
Yup- The Ode Less Travelled.
Mary Beth said…
Bless you for your willingness to do the special baptism. TEC can be so snarky about that.
Unknown said…
I love hearing about that family.
Barbara B. said…
Being instead of pondering sounds especially nice during the summer. Although I have a hard time being without pondering...

(And by the way I love tevas!)
Sally said…
what a great complex family! Hope all goes well... and enjoy the chance to be :-)
Teri said…
I'm with you on not pondering much, but being instead. unfortunately, my learning curve on that is quite steep!
Terri said…
I have done so much pondering for the last couple of years that it is really refreshing to not. But, I do end up with light weight pondering over poems...I'm just not pondering church, mission, or ministry, or call....Well, and I'm still working with Jungian Analyst and pondering a dream. I'll have to post about that dream some day soon....it's a dream to ponder...
Jan said…
"Being" is the way to love; being is the path to awarenss to find, give, and receive love. That's pondering in action.

BTW, what is a kiefer?
Dinner sounds great...and I second Mary Beth's kudos for recognizing that the Christian community into which a child is baptized sometimes is not one parish of one denomination....
Diane M. Roth said…
hey...the Progressive Christian. I have never heard of that magazine. I would like to read and .. er .. ponder it. your picture looks good enough to eat.
Terri said…
Keifer is a thick liquid version of yogurt, a drinkable yogurt with more live "bacteria" good for digestion....not bad, gotta find a flavor you like. (and a bit more sugar than I like, but I've been told to drink it by my chiropractor holistic care Dr...so I do).

The Progressive Christian used to be called "Zions Herald." You can find it through "The Progressive Christian PO Box 458 North Berwick, ME 03906-0458 or www.tpcmagazine.org or 888-785-1050. I got a free copy and then subscribed. Still on the fence. But I've read some good articles.

And, the ribs were fabulous. Along with the potato salad, a fresh fruit salad (nectarine, raspberries, cantalope, watermelon...yum), asiago cheese bread with garlic rosemary olive oil and a glass of chardonney. It was a delicious (see, use of word) meal.
Terri said…
elbee, thanks for the pointer to NPR and Ciardi. I'll have to look for the Stephen Fry and add it to my collection.
Terri said…
Oh, and pondering in action, like the thought about "being" and love and God...
Ann said…
I will baptize anyone. Who am I to restrict the sacrament of initiation, or to say exactly what it will or will not do? I do not completely agree with the current baptismal theology -- to baptize someone "into a community." We baptize in order to adopt a person as God's child. I'm glad you didn't say no. I baptize or bury just about anyone. I'm a little pickier about marriage!
Rev SS said…
Oh, I agree with you on the baptism ... which is a "visible sign" of God's "invisible grace" which God has already accomplished before child is born anyway, right? The baptism I did last week was similar. And, I'm glad you're resting from pondering, and just being for awhile ... important to have such Sabbath times.

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem