Gratitude Reflection Day 16

(taking a brief catnap while at the hospital waiting for the babies to be born)

This morning my husband and I both overslept. Which means our son also overslept, and was late for school. sigh. I guess we are both exhausted, he from working two jobs, me from the weekend of no sleep and birthing babies. But, at least now I do feel like I have caught up on my sleep, I do feel rested.

Yesterday I called my friend to see how she was doing. She burst into tears and let out a litany of frustration. I couldn't understand her, so great was her sobbing. But the gist of it is: "It's only been one day and I can't believe how it has changed my life...I can't get any sleep, I have to pump every 2 -3 hours....the nurses keep coming in and waking me or interuppting me or...and I've only seen the babies twice....and..."

sigh. Having babies rocks our world and it is never the same.

I told her that in time, once her milk is established, she won't have to pump or nurse as often and she will be able to get a longer stretch of time sleeping. She said the lactation nurse told her that too.

My husband and I plan to do some Christmas shopping today and then I think I will go to the hospital and try to run interferance for her so she can sleep.

Today I am grateful for sleep and rest. I pray that my friend gets some too.

Comments

i often think it is a great gift for women to be able to mentor women through those early stages of parenting (and probably beyond too)...but somehow the need seems more acute at the very beginning. she can gain reassurance, support, prayer and the humor of someone who literally has uh been there and done that.

i had lunch with a friend today and her not quite yet 3 year old grandson... and that about did me in. so truly i have no idea how women manage such an earth-shattering change. good thing your friend has you! and very good thing you have rested!!
Diane M. Roth said…
grateful for your relationship with this woman, too!
Jan said…
I'm glad you are there to support this new mom. Please remind her that La Leche League will have a number to call to get mother-to-mother support, which is often even better than the offical lactation consultant.

Glad you are more rested, too.
Barbara B. said…
Yes, lack of sleep is so challenging! It's so great that you are there for your friend.

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem