A Week to Remember...

It is difficult to believe that it has been more than a week since Easter. The time in between has been, well, something else.

On the Monday after Easter I went shopping for supplies for a continuing ed event which would be held Thursday through Sunday. It was an odd shopping trip as I tried hard to imagine how much would be enough for the number of people coming, especially because I didn't know any of them.

Tuesday I awoke to a scratchy throat and very high winds in the area. By Wednesday the winds had not only continued ceaselessly but had increased in intensity. So did my sore throat, which I blamed on the dust and dirt and particles in the air.

Wednesday morning I also headed to the big city three hours north of where I live to begin setting up the continuing ed event. I have been one of the planners and helpers of this event since last fall, and have looked forward to it for months.

Thursday the continuing ed event began in the late afternoon. It was so wonderful to meet people I had been connecting with months and years, but now could meet them in real life. Over the next few days our facilitator, The Rev. Dr. Wil Gafney, would lead us in a discussion on women prophets in the Judeo-Christian context, based on her book, "Daughters of Miriam." But as we began our introductions and group work Thursday night it became apparent that I was much more ill than an allergy and dust storm induced sore throat. I didn't know it then, denial being a strong influence, but I think I had chills and maybe a fever. Friday was a little better, and Saturday, although congested, I began to feel more like myself.

It's an odd thing to try and function through an illness. The human will and desire to be present at something that I have looked forward too and been excited about for so long drove me to persevere and gave me the energy to deny just how awful I felt. I really hope I was careful enough to not share this with any of the group...

Sunday our event ended with a wonderful worship service written and lead by a number of the women present. Following the service most of us headed home, where ever that may be around the country. But few of us are headed up to the Grand Canyon. It was a quick trip, up one day and back the next.

While there we saw the sun set over the rim of the Grand Canyon, had a delightful dinner at The Arizona Room (in the Bright Angel) and went to bed early. We rose bright and early in the morning to watch the sunrise. Afterward we had breakfast and then spent an hour walking the rim before heading south.

Our trip south included a detour to Sedona, Arizona. We drove the route that took us through Oak Creek Canyon - which if you have ever taken that route, you know what I am talking about...it is an awesome drive...but harrowing! A winding narrow road down the side of a mountain where the highest posted speed limit is 15 miles per hour and the incline grade is 7%...steep! At the same time the view is awesome - deep red rock lined with deep green trees. Sedona is just amazing.

Following a quick lunch at the Cowboy Club we continued our journey south where I dropped folks off at their hotels before continuing another 2 and half hours south to my home.

What week! New friends. New experiences. And a journey to remember.

Comments

I sounds so wonderful. I hope to make to BE3!
Unknown said…
Oh, Sedona! How wonderful!! I hope to go there again someday.
God_Guurrlll said…
It was fun getting to know you. Thank you for all of your hospitality and planning!

Peace and love,
Sue said…
Thank you for all of your hard work and planning for last week, and for being such a great travel buddy to the Grand Canyon. I'm still adjusting to the time change and the list of things to do, but once I have a moment I'll post some more GC pics.

I still can't believe I woke up at 5:30 to see the sunrise at the GC....but it was totally worth it. Just so beautiful!
mid-life rookie said…
Hope you are feeling better. You were awesome functioning inspite of being sick. Thanks for everything!
Deb said…
thanks... for persevering as a priest and pastor, and helping those of us a lap behind to keep doing the same.

peace-
Deb

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem