All Is Confusion...

Virginia Woolf wrote, "Across the broad continent of a woman's life falls the shadow of a sword." On one side of that sword, she said, there lies convention and tradition and order, where all is correct. But on the other side of that sword, if you're crazy enough to cross it and choose a life that does not follow convention, "all is confusion. Nothing follows a regular course." Her argument was that the crossing of the shadow of that sword may bring a far more interesting existence to a woman, but you can bet it will also be more perilous. (From Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, pg 95)

This says a lot about life as I've known it - far more interesting than the life I might have led, but also, at times, perilous. I suppose one might say that a life without risk is life not fully lived. I tend to think of myself as a risk taker - or maybe I am a faith taker - I take leaps of faith when I strive to follow God.

Sometimes though that means I fall flat on my face.

But, sometimes it means I soar.

Comments

altar ego said…
I think there are two types of women in this sense: those who cross and those who don't (and in a sense there's a double entendre there). The risky side, perilous as it can be, is far richer. After all, when one falls on one's face, the view is entirely different and quite illuminating.

Here's to confusion!
Di McCullough said…
I can certainly appreciate this. I'm not sure it's true just for women, but there certainly is a line of division between people who do what's expected, and others.
the latest issue of The Economist has a cover feature and a few articles on women in the workforce... the issue deals with the differences and the cultural ramifications of women now making up slightly more than half the american workforce...
revhipchick said…
when i saw your title post on my blogger page i came right over. i wondered if you were writing a tribute to Mary Daly as she crossed a multitude of lines! she passed away today. it makes me sad.

i'd bet you soar far more than you fall on your face. i love that you are a faith leaper! that's why you inpsire me!
Terri said…
my new name, like in Karate kid, "Faith Leaper"...thanks RevHip!

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem