Goin Home




This morning I woke up with this ear worm...

Chorus:
Swing low, sweet chariot,
Comin' for to carry me home;
Swing low, sweet chariot,
Comin' for to carry me home.

I looked over Jordan,
And WHAT did I see,
Comin' for to carry me home,
A band of angels comin' after me,
Comin' for to carry me home.

Repeat chorus:

If you get there before I do,
Comin' for to carry me home,
Tell all my friends I'm comin' too,
Comin' for to carry me home.

This spiritual was written by Wallis Willis who, after the Civil War became a free man and joined the Choctaw Indian Nation. I know that the hymn refers to our final spiritual home with God, but I also think it can refer to our spiritual home here on earth. Where does my spirit reside? Where does yours?

In the midst of challenges, when a calm inner self is most needed, it is also most difficult to maintain. I can think of a lot of reasons why I would wake up with this in my head and heart. But mostly I think it is a reminder that God carries me, carries you, and in that way we are always home.

Comments

Lori said…
I wake up with heartburn.

You are doing something right here.
altar ego said…
Great post! I keep hearing "Private eyes are watching you," since the TV show Psych is using that to promote their new season! I would much rather be lulled by chariots.
I've just found your blog and have to say I love the music that plays in your head!

Great message - thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem