RevGals Friday Five Meme: The Communication Edition

kathrynzj over at RevGals offers this Friday Five Meme:

1) What have been the benefits for you of social networking (blog, twitter, facebook, etc...) For me, like many others, there have been countless benefits - friendships made and or sustained, thoughts and ideas shared, prayers offered, hope and grace and kindness beyond measure.

2) Which medium do you use the most? Or if you use them all, for what do you use each of them? I use them all, although I post on twitter a lot less often than any of the others, and have only used Skype once. Facebook is fun and has reconnected me to lots of friends. But blogging is nicer because the posts are longer, more reflective, or at least more informational. Plus I'll blog with folks I don't know but I don't facebook or twitter with people I don't know.

3) If you could invent a networking site (with no limits on your imagination), what would it provide? What would it not provide? yeah, no ideas here....but I'm sure someone will come up with the next thing we have to have and use.

4) Who have you met that you would not have met if it were not for the 'miracle' of social networking? All the folks who blog on RevGals - too many to even list...great wonderful women and some men, too...and a few I have now met IRL

5) Who do you secretly pray does not one day try to 'friend/follow' you? sigh. well there was one person but after being friended twice I actually relented...nice person just tends to send too much - multiple emails in one day - a little obsessive etc....otherwise no one really.

BONUS: What was the most random/weird/unsettling/wonderful connection you made that would not have happened if it were not for the ease of which we can find each other in the computer realm? The day my niece, with whom I "lost" contact following a divorce some 15 years ago, friended me on facebook - and then after some time she friended my brother - her father....it was so exciting to find her again and have her back in the family! She's thrilled too!

Comments

kathrynzj said…
"...there have been countless benefits - friendships made and or sustained, thoughts and ideas shared, prayers offered, hope and grace and kindness beyond measure."

I LOVE this.

Thank you for playing.
Di said…
Ditto Kathrynzj-- I completely agree.

Also, it's pretty neat that you reconnected with your niece.
altar ego said…
Strengthening family connections has been a real gift to me through social media, too. I can identify with that joy for you.
Jan said…
Blogging has certainly blessed me with friends, like you, and growth in community, faith, and connection. So glad you reconnected with your niece.
zorra said…
I love your bonus answer. That's a perfect example of how FB can be a blessing! And you are certainly one of the folks I'm so glad to have met IRL.
Rev Nancy Fitz said…
Your answers make me want to play, maybe later. Yes, blogging opens the door to new friendships. FB to old ones. Twitter is just fun.
Anonymous said…
Where would I be without knowing you. One of these days... it's gonna be face-to-face!!!!!
Muthah+ said…
Good Bonus. I have those kind of reconnections too.
Ann said…
We had this happen, too! Before facebook, though. Through a weird twist of events, I was led back to a niece lost long, long ago (in our case, it was about 30 years)in a divorce, and she also reconnected with my brother, her father! Aren't those reconciliations wonderful?
Terri said…
yes, reconciliations like this are wonderful.

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem