The Book of Questions

One of the books I bought on impulse the other day was Pablo Neruda's "The Book of Questions." It's poetry book of questions. Here's an example:

LXVII

Can you love me, syllabary,
and give me a meaningful kiss?

Is a dictionary a sepulchre
or a sealed honeycomb?

In which window did I remain
watching buried time?

Or is what I see from afar
what I have not yet lived?

Each poem is presented in its English translation and the original Spanish.

The inside cover says this: In The Book of Questions, Pablo Neruda refuses to be corralled by the rational mind. Composed entirely of unanswerable couplets, the poems integrate the wonder of a child with the experiences of an adult. Whether comic, surreal, or Orphic, Neruda's poignant questions lead the reader beyond reason into realms of sudden intuition and pure imagination.

It's a delightful little book.

Comments

Magdalene6127 said…
That is just sublime.

And Mompriest, I am a latecomer to your blog. But I have lately been reading back through your story of the last year or so. I am so sorry for the pain you have endured, but also so filled with admiration and even reverence for the faithful and introspective way in which you've responded. Blessings to you. You are in my prayers.
I had not heard of this collection of his. It seems very fun.

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem