Jan over at RevGals offers this Friday Five:
I am currently reading a book entitled Stairway of Surprise: Six Steps to a Creative Life by Michael Lipson. His premise is a quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson: "I shall mount to paradise by the stairway of surprise." Lipson's book is about practicing or developing six inner functions--thinking, doing, feeling, loving, opening, and thanking.
So these categories of attention are a jumping off point for today's Friday Five:
Pick five of the six actions and write about how you are practicing them today or recently. For a bonus, write about the sixth one you originally didn't choose!
What or how are you
1. thinking? I am thinking about my homily for Sunday. It is my goal to preach without a text as often as possible this summer. I also need tom preach shorter reflections that take in to consideration that our children will be with for the entire service. For me this is an opportunity to engage the kids at the sermon time. So, I'm thinking about how to do that.
2. doing? Drinking coffee, listening to the birds as they wake up, sing, enjoy the bird feeder, and chuckle at my cat who is intrigued by the birds as they land on the deck railing and jostle for a position on the feeder.
3. feeling? Achey. I need a massage. I have started to exercise again, yoga, core work, weights, walking and bike riding. But, I still need a massage.
4. loving? This beautiful morning, where I live, my new call, my family.
5. opening? Meeting new people, learning new ways, growing to love new people and build new relationships.
6. thanking? God. Life has been very difficult, but I feel so blessed right now.
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad
The readings that we chose for the service tonight were all picked specifically for this service because they lift up the role of women ...
There a few elements of life common to all people. Basically they include living, loving, suffering, and dying. All of us experience these a...
I have a good friend who is always late for everything. Whenever my friend and I schedule a date to get together I plan to arrive 15 minute...