Creative Cooking

Every Friday I visit the local farmers market. After several weeks of shopping I have found a number of favorite vendors. I try to. Uy a little something from about five or six different stands: bread, cheese, tomatoes, broccoli, lettuce, onions, and so forth.

Yesterday one of the vendors was selling his homemade ricotta cheese, half price since it was about to expire. I stood at his booth and created a recipe in my head, which convinced me to buy a container of the ricotta.

Here is what I made:

Ricotta White Sauce for Pasta

3 cloves of garlic, peeled and halved
1 small sweet onion, chopped
1 stalk of celery, diced
1 can of chicken stock or vegetable stock
1 can of diced tomatoes with juice (or several Roma tomatoes)
2 cups of broccoli flowers, cut smallish
1 cup of ricotta
Fresh basil, I used a good handful of leaves, some shredded, some whole
Fresh oregano, I used less oregano than basil, but still a good amoint
Pepper and salt to taste

Sauté garlic, onion, celery in olive oil in a skillet. When the onion and celery are tender, add stock, tomatoes, and herbs, stir and reduce slightly. Add ricotta and broccoli, continue to cook until thickened. For crisper broccoli add later. Salt and pepper to taste.

Use any style pasta you like. I used large shells and served with a side of Italian sausage, green salad, and a roared garlic bread.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

Patti Money said…
That sounds yummy!!
Gaye said…
Oh wish I had seen this before I did supper. Cool. Will try it soon though
CynShine said…
Oh, M. Terri! I tried to copy the recipe to Word and got only the returns! What a laugh! Guess I better just print from your blog. It does sound divine.
Sherry Peyton said…
That sounds sooo good! I'm wondering if Dearborn has a farmers market or if you go into the one off Gratiot in Detroit. We used to go over at lunchtime sometimes and eat at a bar called Tavern on the Green. Great stuff and supporting stores at the Detroit market. But I love them all!
Terri said…
I've been past Tavern on the Grren, but the farmers market is in Dearborn, on Garrison and Mason, behind the Bryant street library and Buddies pizza (not sure if those buildings were used for these when you were here...)
kdoyle said…
Great recipe (I'd have to substitute the soy equivalent for ricotta, though).

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem