RevGals Friday Five: Gratitude in a Name



Jan, over at RevGals offers this Friday Five meme on Gratitude:

A wise person once told me to make an ABC list of things I am grateful for any time I feel sad or depressed. It is a good practice when one is feeling happier than that, too. So for this Friday Five, I suggest that you use your name or nickname of about five letters and express your gratitude about something that starts with each letter. Some people have longer names, so you decide how you will go about this! (Last names, middle names, and nicknames count!)

I'll have to think about this one, gratitudes that begin with T.E.R.R.I.

T - Topsoil, which helps my garden and flowers grow. Tomatoes, which are growing thick in my garden - Roma, Cherry, and Big Boy. Today, a day off. Tomorrow, because I live in hope.

E - Environment, I have lived in a many different environments from cold to hot, from progressive to traditional, but my current environment feels just right. I do worry about the global environment and global warming, the severe storms seem to be a result of our abuse of the environment...so I hope that we can become more sensitive to the way we live. I am grateful for the beauty of this world, which amazes me on a regular basis - from sunrise to sunset, from flowers to trees, to birds, and more.

R - Resurrection, I have experienced the reality of the resurrection in my life. Sometimes it is evident in the grace of God made manifest in my relationships, other times it is God's mercy prevailing through difficulty, often it is just the tenacity of the Holy Spirit to keep me going when all feels lost, enabling me to take the next step, until new life is revealed. It's happened more than once.

R - Roses, we are planning to convert one of our abandoned garden islands into a rose garden. To that end we are researching the best variety of roses for this region. We also plan to convert another island into a butterfly garden, planting flowers that attract butterflys.

I - Interfaith, I live in a community that works hard to maintain good interfaith relationships, intentional relationships that learn from and support one another. Interior, I am paying attention to my interior life these days as stuff from the past gets triggered and as I learn to function as solo pastor. It's been a long time since I have worked without a deacon or another priest to assist. It's ok, but I am working hard. So I am beginning the process of finding a spiritual director near by. I have interior work to do, but it's good work, and for that I am thankful.

Comments

Unknown said…
So happy for you in your new situation. It's wonderful!
Sally said…
lovely, I think I'd like to change my name now!
Sharon said…
I hear your strong connection to growing things and it sounds like you are growing beautifully, too! Yea!
Wendy said…
I love your Rs: resurrection and roses!
Rev SS said…
Yep ... growth seems to always include trimming of the vine, "death" and resurrection ...followed by new and more abundant LIFE! Thx b 2 God
Would love to see some pictures of the garden islands, both pre- and post.
QuiltyBee said…
lovely list. in northwest iowa the julia child rose (nice yellow turning to peach) does exceptionally well, as does the America rose
I love this list. And, I confess, I am a bit covetous of someone who is in an environment that feels, "just right." (Sighing with longing.) Blessings, Terri!
Lisa :-] said…
I love this list. I understand that it was all about gratitudes, but it just doesn't seem...forced. I think it's wonderful that you're in a place where these things can bubble to the surface so easily.

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem