Friday Five

Songbird, over at RevGals, offers this Friday Five:

i've got home on my mind: what it feels like, how we make it, what we carry from the past and how we separate other people's leftovers from objects that really reflect our identity. My family has had one home for the past 13 years, the longest I've ever lived anywhere. As the time when all the children are gone comes closer, I wonder where my next home will be?

So here are five questions about home.

1) Where was your first home? I was born in Salt Lake City. The first house I remember was in "Avenues" near the university. Later we lived further up the side of the mountain in a house with an apricot tree and a view of the valley below.

2) Do you ever dream about places you used to live? I use to dream about my Great-grandmother's farm house in southern Idaho. It was a big yellow house with a turret room where my great grandmother kept all of her sewing materials. I remember playing with her sewing materials in that room and enjoying fresh strawberries from her garden. I have, from time to time dreamed of that house.

3) If you could bring back one person from your past to sit at your dinner table, who would you choose? I'd love to bring back my great grandmother and just listen to her stories and then gather around the piano while she played and sang. She loved music.

4) What's your favorite room in your current living space? I like every room in my current house. The kitchen has a great view of the backyard, the living room has a fire place, and a room upstairs is my yoga and mediation/prayer room.

5) Is there an object or an item where you live now that represents home? I love fireplaces, they speak home! To me. But mostly I love my artwork, created by friends, and my kids. Nothing of great value, except to me.









- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

angela said…
Your life home sounds so intentional. I love the thought of your grandmother playing and singing. My stepmom does that and I always so enjoy all the hymns.
Jan said…
You sound very happy in your home; I'm glad. Most of my "art" is from my kids, too.
Unknown said…
I love the sound of a turret sewing room.
kdoyle said…
I'd love an old Victorian house with a turret (although probably for writing, not sewing). Someday, maybe...

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem