Monday Morning Musings

Sometimes I just have let go. Last week, as if I couldn't get any busier, I did. By Saturday afternoon, when I sat down to write my sermon for Sunday morning, I was completely drained. I managed to write down a skeleton of a sermon and then let it go. Over night the sermon percolated in my thoughts and by morning I realized that I was going to preach without the text, filling out some of the pieces, and only using my iPad for the quote and conclusion. It worked fairly well. Particularly my idea to have all of us sit in silence for a minute or so. People seemed to appreciate that.

Yesterday included two worship services, including one where we blessed items for worship that were acquired from Memorial Gifts. This was followed by the "greening" of the church, a short break, writing my newsletter article, reviewing worship for Christmas Eve/Day, and officiating at a Lessons and Carols performance, led by a chorus from a local community college. It was a performance, not technically a worship service -so a bit odd to be the "Officiant", but filled with lovely music. Benjamin Britton, Kings College, Lessons and Carols. All told, another 13 hour day.

Today I am resting a bit. Soon I will clean and prepare for my son to arrive on Amtrak. He will be here for the week. Our daughter arrives next Sunday. I am looking forward to Christmas and then some time off.

If this week goes as planned it will be slightly slower than the previous 10 weeks. However, if there is one thing I have realized, life rarely goes as planned.

That's my week. What about yours?

Comments

Rev Nancy Fitz said…
Lovely Terri. I enjoyed your Sunday post which I just got around to reading. Love the quote. I'm challenged by your brave combo of trust and specific text while being able to just speak the rest. I will do a little of that on Christmas eve, trying to let the nervousness and busyness subside to be in the moment.
I don't think my congregation is as busy as yours, but the weeks have been full. I hope you enjoy the holiday time with the children home.
Katherine E. said…
I can SO relate! We spent last week at my inlaws, and fortunately I have another week here at home on vacation. I still don't think I've really decompressed!

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem