Mary Beth, over at RevGals offers this Friday Five:
1. If you suddenly received a ton of money and could open up some kind
of store or service just for the pleasure of having it (assume it
wouldn’t have to be too financially successful!), what would it be? I'd offer holistic health care that paid the therapists a living wage and made the treatments available to everyone. We'd have yoga, massage therapy, acupuncture, Reike, shiatsu, chiropractic, sauna and steam rooms, and a whirlpool, health classes on vitamins and diet, meditation classes, religion and spirituality resources, and a tea room where one could eat a simple healthy meal, drink delicious tea, and read.
2. What service or store that no longer exists do you miss most? I can't think of anything. However, what I wish for is a good old fashioned vegetarian restaurant - although we have lots of veggie options of the Middle Eastern variety, I'd love a vegetarian restaurant like we had in Chicago: Blind Faith or Heartland.
3. What local business do you think you could make better if you were
to take it over? And if you don’t mind sharing, what changes would you
make? I'm really not a business person. But if I could create my own business I'd do what I mentioned in #1. Although maybe I'd add one more component to that response: I'd also offer silent retreats with walking paths and labyrinth.
4. What spot nearby seems to be impossible for businesses to survive in? Like portions of Chicago thirty years ago, there are portions of Detroit that have been devastated by the economy. This makes them ripe for some creative innovation to take over - but so far it seems that there is still too much crime and corruption.
5. We’ve all seen stores that combined books and records, beer and
laundry, or coffee and whatever. One of my favorite places to get
coffee in Honolulu is a cafe and florist, and there is a car garage
that’s also a diner in a town nearby. What would be a cool hybrid of
two disparate ideas for somewhere you’d like to hang out? See my first answer....that's my idea of a cool place, although not necessarily disparate ideas being combined....
When I was a new mom I read every book and magazine article I could find on parenting. I felt a need to be the perfect parent raising per...
I admit, there are days when I wonder if there is a God. I mean, days when I am worn thin from the onslaught of violence, the destruction o...
The Sunday after Senator Gabbi Giffords was shot, in a mass shooting in Tucson, Arizona, I went to church hoping to hear some reflection on...