Peace, Rest, Gratitude....claiming it while I am able

Another quiet start to one of my final days of staycation. I have a small black cat snuggled on my lap between my belly and the laptop. Another cat is comfy under the Christmas tree, her favorite spot this time of year. Two old dogs are snoring nearby while the younger dogs gulped their breakfast, did their business outside and ran back upstairs for more sleep. Bach adagios are playing softly, adding to the calm of the morning. The sun is rising but it is a cloudy day so the light outside has a blue cast do it, the ground, trees, and houses, drenched in frozen snow, a waft of smoke rising from the chimney of a house across the street. I have a fire burning in the fire place, too. And a giant mug of steaming hot coffee with cream and honey. (Yes, I put honey in my coffee....raw, unfiltered, local honey - good for the immune system and allergies, too, they say).

Tonight, with little fan-fare my husband, son, and I will ring out 2012 and bring in the New Year. We'll have a meal (beef roast marinated in port and topped with Gorgonzola cheese and crushed peppercorn. The marinade will become a sauce, reduced with cranberries added - festive. Also twice baked potatoes and steamed asparagus - simple, but festive). We'll watch some movies and drink tea. I'll probably knit. It will be our typical night. No big party no big fanfare no big deal. Quiet.

Tomorrow my husband and I will drive west, across the state of Michigan, to meet up with our daughter. We've had her dog, Oliver, since Christmas Eve day. She left him here so she and Keith could go to a family party at his parents (too big of a party for a big dog) and then go out tonight, New Year's Eve without needing to board him. It seems boarding him stresses him out and he gets very sick.

He is such a nut! Here he is in one of my favorite photos, waiting for our daughter on the back of the sofa in the office of the barn where she works....


But here, he's been fine. He is so use to and comfortable with our dogs, it's his pack, and he just fits right in. We like having him here too - he's a big goof. So, tomorrow, a five hour round trip drive to drop him off. We'll probably have a quick lunch at the meet-up.

Today I'm thinking of the simple pleasures of life: coffee, the New York Times, a fire in the fireplace, sleeping cats and dogs, and a slow start to my day. Soon I'll be back in the fray - busy preparing and taking care of a million things at once. But for now, peace, rest.

I watched a recap of 2012 on the news last night and remarked at all the tragedies and challenges of this year - so difficult for so many people - most of it violence and bad weather. This year, all things considered, has not been too bad for me, personally. There are some challenges, but also many blessings. I live with a grateful heart. 

 I hope you find some time for peace and rest. Or, if it is your preference, a good night out to celebrate. What are you up too as we ring out 2012?

Comments

Nice and quiet here. I may make midnight...and I may not. It is back to work on the 2nd and I have not a stitch of exegesis completed or the bulletin! It will be a full three days.
Lisa :-] said…
Gotta get up and do some housekeeping until the hubs gets home from work. Then we'll probably watch another "West Wing" dvd while we ring in the new year.
kdoyle said…
Happy New Year! Love the dog pic.

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem