RevGalBlogPal galships of gratitude

The summer was long, hot, and full of discouragement from one thing and another. All typical work-a-day stuff for a relatively new clergy woman trying to find her way through the early years of her vocation. Part of that summer was spent interviewing for a position I felt was perfect for me - a place full of creativity with an emphasis on social justice. Alas, the job was not to be mine. That reality left me feeling bleak and lost. One day I buried myself in the recent edition of Christian Century magazine, hoping to find inspiration. Little did I know that what I found, and read, would irrevocably alter the course of my life.

Thumbing through the pages I stumbled upon an article about a group of women clergy who formed an on-line group of bloggers called the RevGalBlogPals. I was a relative novice to the internet and had never even heard of blogging. That fact did not stop me. Immediately upon finishing the article I picked up my laptop and set about creating a blog. It was relatively easy to do. More difficult was trying to figure out what to call the blog and what to use as a pseudonym. I definitely did not want to use my real name, at least not then. Eventually I figure it all out, published my first post, and emailed the RevGals with a request for membership. I think I had to blog consistently for three months before I could become an official member?

Within a couple of months I formed a group of blogging buddies, many of whom, seven years later, I still blog with consistently. Songbird (Martha) was the first person to read my blog consistently. She helped me a great deal in the early days as I learned "code" and "links." Shortly there after I started a conversation about poetry with Diane. Before long I was blogging with hotcup and kate, Barb and Serena and many others. We were a lively bunch, blogging daily and sharing stories of our lives.

I have been blessed to serve as contributor to the RevGals blog, first hosting the Monday Meet and Greet, which I did for a number of years. Then I began writing the Sunday prayers and became the administrator for the prayer blog. I have served on the RevGals board of directors and helped plan the Big Event 2 (the only land based BE to date). One of my most favorite RevGal time was our side trip to the Grand Canyon following that BE. Those of us who made the drive had a fabulous time. We watched the sun set one night and made it up in time to see the sun rise the next morning.





 I still remember our delightful dinner at the Bright Angel....(from front center going clock-wise: Sue, Crystal, Jean, Chrysanne, me, the Vicar, Kate)



My revgal pals have literally carried me with prayer and love through some of the most challenging days, months, and years, of my life. For that love, support, and prayers, and for the friendships on-line and in real life, I am forever grateful.

Comments

Deb said…
You were among the first RevGals I found - I don't know how, exactly, but somehow your blog came up when I was searching for something. From small things come life's journeys!

Grateful for you and the places God takes you! <3
Terri said…
Deb, yes! I have followed your journey for a long time and been so grateful for you!
Jan said…
You were also one of the first RevGals I found. I remember writing to you in that long lost bleak time, but seem to have lost all snail mail addresses since then. It is always good to read your reflections, plus your humor and pictures. Thanks.
Amy+ said…
Love this- and you- I'm so glad we have met in real life also!!
Sue said…
I loved that Grand Canyon side trip!
revkjarla said…
love you dear friend! I am so grateful for you!
Teri said…
Love you! so grateful to have served with you on the board, for the long day of coffee and lunch, for the connections of the suburbs, and for your beautiful writing and photography! Beyond happy that you're part of my cloud of witnesses.
Unknown said…
Gosh, I remember reading your blog all through the difficulties of illness - a long infection, yes? - and very tender material about God and silence. Such a long time ago.
Terri said…
yes, Martha, a long infection - eleven days in the hospital, nine weeks of self-adminstered IV antibiotics...during that very first year of blogging. It was a crazy time.
revdrkate said…
Yes! I remember that your blog was one of the first I found. How important this connection has been for me, through all the ups and downs of church life and all of life in general through the last seven years!
revdrkate said…
Yes! Yours was one of the first blogs I founds and you have been there on this long and amazing journey. I have so appreciated your support and wisdom. And the Grand Canyon trip was the BEST!
grateful too for your friendship! and support, and wise words... *cheers!*

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem