Friday Five: End of Summer (nooooooooooo)
Deb, over at the RevGals, offers this Friday Five:
There’s no real theme today, just some random topics. Have fun and don’t forget to post your link in the comments!
1. True or False: You can wear white shoes after Labor Day*. (Please explain to me why!) For me the real question is, who wears white shoes anymore?
2. If “the dog days” are in August, when are “the cat days”? Every other day of the year, and really, cats just give dogs the month of August because it's too hot for cats to care.
3. Share a memory from your life of going back to school. Shopping in the fall for new clothes and school supplies. The beginning of each year filled me with anticipation and hope. I loved school.
4. My dad had a rhyme he used to tell us: “I eat my peas with honey; I’ve done it all my life. It makes the peas taste funny, but it keeps them on my knife!” What’s the strangest use for honey you’ve ever heard of? I put raw, uncooked, unfiltered honey produced from the region I live in, in my coffee. I've been told that honey is good for the immune system and helps with seasonal allergies.
5. Post a picture from this summer that shows us one of your favorite memories.
My daughter's wedding. It was a fun week getting ready for it and a wonderful celebration.
BONUS: Summer gardens! Got one? What are you growing
Our garden this year has been prolific - cucumbers, zucchini, beans, broccoli, brussel sprouts, kale, lettuce, tomatoes. Sadly the tomatoes are not ripening so yesterday I picked a ton of green tomatoes, put them through the food processor with jalapeno's, onions, garlic, cumin, cilantro, a small amount of vinegar and sugar, salt and pepper, poured it into a pot and reduced it, making a green tomato enchilada sauce. I poured some of it on homemade chicken and black bean enchiladas for supper last night. I also froze 4 quarts for another time.