Friday Five: Sweet or Salty???
RevDeb over at RevGals offers this Friday Five: Ain't gonna lie... Even though there are no Trick-or-Treaters in our home, I still eye the candy aisle with undisguised lust.
What shall it be? Can I resist? Maybe you have a craving for a little something from time to time... join me for this week's Friday Five!
1. First, Sweet or Salty? Or both? Describe that gotta-have-it treat. (It can be healthy or paleo-friendly, or decadent. We won't judge!) My go to treat lately is KIND bars. I like the dark chocolate nutty bars with 7 grams of protein and I really love the sweet and salty caramel bars with 6 grams of protein. YUM! And they don't mess around with my digestion issues. I also the Equal Exchange dark chocolate bars with almond or the caramel and sea salt. I like sweet and salty.
2. Self-control: How do you help yourself stay strong with the temptation of All That Sugar? As a child I loved Halloween. I loved getting a big bag of candy and then sequestering myself in my bedroom with a pile of books, reading and indulging in candy. It was not the healthiest thing to do, but for a couple of years it was something I enjoyed. Now I really can't eat much sugar, it makes me feel ill. So a little goes a long way with me.
3. Have you successfully cut (or decreased) sugar out of your diet? How did you do it? I did! Last June I decided try to go refine-free: I cut out all refined sugars and refined carbs for a month. It did not make a huge difference, but it made some difference. I had better, more consistent energy, I slept better, and most of all I lost weight. I've tried to lose weight for years to no avail. This time instead of watching calories I cut sugar and carbs and increased my exercise a little and to date I've lost 14 pounds. I may have reached the limit of weight loss from that approach, but it's good enough. I feel better and my clothes fit again.
4. What's one sweet you won't do without. Ever. Honey. I use raw, unfiltered, unrefined locally harvest honey in my coffee and tea. I started using it for my allergies and now I just like it. I also use a little in my protein shakes or on plain yogurt.
5. Just for fun: if you were a candy bar, which one would you be? I use to love Almond Joy - coconut, almond, and chocolate!
BONUS: Share a recipe or tip that uses up the leftover sweets at your house. At one church I served we collected all the left over Halloween candy from parishioners and boxed it up and sent it to our college students. It was fun. Hasn't worked here as well - not much candy is left over, apparently.