Sunday, May 06, 2007

A Woman's Burden


Four hours of grilling. I have done lots of interviews. I may be the church job search pro. I'm good at it. But yesterday I experienced an interview that beat all others. Four hours of talking. This after a 90 minute phone interview earlier. This after a two hour lunch the day before where I barely ate as I answered question after question. This after they have spent 12 hours interviewing members of my parish and other references....Then in the midst of this a sixty some year old man asked me my views on abortion and how I would counsel a "13 year old pregnant girl who did not have supportive parents and came to me because she was pregnant." (Ok so no one else is every confused about a prepnancy, only poor girls???)....

Now, I am not about to get on my soap box regarding the abortion issue. But suffice it to say it was headed in a bad direction when he said that he believes abortion is wrong even in cases of incest and rape. And then I was virtually speechless when he said, "It is a woman's burden to bear, even if she has been raped or is a victim of incest. It is a woman's burden to bear." Men are not culpable in any capacity for any kind of inappropriate behavior? It's just a woman's burden to bear???

Later he told my husband that when he and his wife were living in Australia she saw a large scorpion on the drapes. She went to kill it but knocked it down instead and it landed in his gym bag. She never told him there was a scorpion in his gym bag. He found it later....(and obviously lived to tell the story)....

'nuff said???

3 comments:

Songbird said...

Indeed, 'nuff said.
(Okay, I'll say one thing. Aren't you glad when you find these things out in the interview phase?)

mompriest said...

Yes...so glad I know now!

Sally said...

yup nuff said- sometimes God simply opens a window for us to see the truth!

I will with God's help....uncomplicating the complicated

I was baptized when I was nine years old. I have vivid memories of the baptism itself, of being terrified, as I was fully immersed three ti...