Sally over at RevGals is wondering about what recharges us and offers this Friday Five Meme:
1. Is there a person who encourages and uplifts you, whose company you seek when you are feeling low? I am usually recharged by finding time for solitude and silence: When I am really worn I schedule a three day silent retreat. On a regular basis I find solitude in reading a book or the NY Times on the chaise in the backyard and then taking a good swim. I used to be recharged by walking through the beauty of our old dog park in Chicago - a good 45 minute walk where just the dogs and I could wander off. Here, though, with bobcats and coyotes, I rarely walk the dogs alone. (sad, really). I also like to sit outside in the morning with a cup of coffee and watch the sun rise over the mountains. And lastly, knitting restores me.
2. How about a piece of music that either invigorates or relaxes you? I use music this way all the time. Except I have lost my iPod and have not been able to afford to replace it, so I am music-less these days.
3. Which book of the Bible do you most readily turn to for refreshment and encouragement? Is there a particular story that brings you hope? Romans 8:26-28: Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness; for we do not know how to pray as we ought, but that very Spirit intercedes with sighs too deep for words. And God, who searches the heart, knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit* intercedes for the saints according to the will of God. We know that all things work together for good* for those who love God...
4. A bracing walk or a cosy fireside? Depends on the weather. Not much for freezing while I walk, but a nice chilly day is great for a walk. A cold day requires a fire, a cup of tea, and good book.
5. Are you feeling refreshed and restored at the moment or in need of recharging, write a prayer or a prayer request to finish this weeks Friday Five....
I am worn to about as thin a place
as one be.
My daily prayer is heavy with sadness -
Lord, why me?
Anger, mean spirited, hurtful, people
The harmful effect of words and actions
sad, so sad
friends, family, a time of hope turned sour
Books are written about this stuff, many
I know this
And still, and still it is so very hard
A thin place where evil and grace abide
side by side.
The readings that we chose for the service tonight were all picked specifically for this service because they lift up the role of women ...
There a few elements of life common to all people. Basically they include living, loving, suffering, and dying. All of us experience these a...
I have a good friend who is always late for everything. Whenever my friend and I schedule a date to get together I plan to arrive 15 minute...