Please answer these five questions about pie:
Songbird, over at RevGals had gifts of pie for Thanksgiving. From that delightful experience she offers this Friday Five:
1) Are pies an important part of a holiday meal? It depends on the holiday. If it's MY birthday I prefer chocolate cake (well, you know, in families our birthdays are holi-days, right?). BUT otherwise I'm trying to think of a holiday when pie is not important....maybe Valentine's Day - again chocolate cake, or just chocolates? But all the others I love pie - in the summer berry pies - blueberry or raspberry or peach! In the fall apple or pumpkin, or my latest favorite - apple, pear, cranberry pie! (I've made this for the last couple of years and it is a fabulous blend of sweet and tart, and oh so colorful!
2) Men prefer pie; women prefer cake. Discuss. Nope. Not in my household. We all love both.
3) Cherries--do they belong in a pie? Sure. I'm not terribly fond of cherry pie - but that is mostly because I always prefer to use fresh fruit and there is no way I am going to pit all that fruit. But I do love cherries!
4) Meringue--if you have to choose, is it best on lemon or chocolate? We are not big fans, in my home, of cream pies. Unless it is my husband's birthday when I always make a banana cream pie - but that's with whipped cream...meringue? I do love lemon but it doesn't agree with me...so, I guess meringue on lemon, whipped cream on chocolate...
5) In a chicken pie, what are the most compatible vegetables? Anything you don't like to find in a chicken pie? Oh! My great grandmother made the best chicken pie. I think any veggie is good in pie - well, maybe not tomato - although I suppose sun dried might be interesting...but otherwise potatoes, celery, onion, carrots, turnips, parsnips, broccoli, asparagus....