RevGals Friday Five: Pilgrimage

From the RevGals blog

1. Have you ever been on a pilgrimage? (however you choose to define the term) Share a bit about it. If not, what's your reaction to the idea of pilgrimage? I've gone a lot of retreats, all mostly local or within an hour drive. I've never gone on what I'd call a pilgrimage: a spiritual quest, a journey through my roots or a journey that is leading me some place new. If I ever have that opportunity I would love to go to: the Church of England ancient cathedrals (and do some genealogy), Iona (walk that "thin place" to island when the tide is out, Jerusalem (it is the Holy Land), Egypt (I have a fascination with pyramids and all things Egyptian).

2. Share a place you've always wanted to visit on pilgrimage. See above.

3. What would you make sure to pack in your suitcase or backpack to make the pilgrimage more meaningful? Or does "stuff" just distract from the experience? I always over pack. Too many clothes for every possible weather event in the region. At least I also wear all the stuff I take...either that or I need to stay where there will be laundry facilities. Or I need to just wear stuff over and over again (which is ok with some clothing). It also depends on how long I'd be gone. For a pilgrimage I'd hope to be gone at least two weeks or more.

4. If you could make a pilgrimage with someone (living, dead or fictional) as your guide, who would it be? (I'm about this close to saying "Besides Jesus." Yes, we all know he was indispensable to those chaps heading to Emmaus, but it's too easy an answer) Iona with Herbert O'Driscoll and Esther Dewall. England Cathedrals with, I'm not sure on that one...although it might be interesting to spend time with Robert Hooker the 16th century theologian who wrote the foundation of Anglican "Via Media" - the middle way. Or, and this would be a different sort of pilgrimage, time with Julian of Norwich, just praying and being silent and occasionally speaking. The Holy Land, with Frank Griswold, the retired Presiding Bishop of the Episcopal Church. He has done these in the past and they are fabulous. He has a wealth of knowledge and a deep spirituality.

5. Eventually the pilgrim must return home, but can you suggest any strategies for keeping that deep "mountaintop" perspective in the midst of everyday life? (don't mind me, I'll be over here taking notes) Bring home "icons" of the trip. Rocks from a special place (not too big, obviously). Or real Icons of a saint from the area, pictures or artwork. I like visuals that I can pray with or hold which help transport me back. Maybe a book, and if I were diligent, a journal.

Comments

reverendmother said…
Great answers. Thanks for playing!
hmm rocks and artwork back home - I like that alot. You must have an incredible attention span and patience to have Julian of Norwich as a pilgrim companion... all that silence. I'd break. I'd simply drink too much coffee, start rambling, and drive Julian quite loony. But it sounds wonderfully heady...
Terri said…
HC - re: Julian...haa haa. Somedays I would too... She'd quietly say "All will be well..." and I'd want to run....
Anonymous said…
I too would enjoy visiting Jerusalem and Egypt...so much to learn and experience.
Erin said…
I caught Bishop Griswold contributing to a History Channel special on the Antichrist when I was channel surfing the other day, and you are right...definitely a wealth of knowledge...not to mention a refreshing perspective compared to most of the other academics they had on there! And I never thought of bringing rocks back - that would be neat! -Angel
Jan said…
I'd like to visit Iona, too. I also collect rocks when I go places. Your answers, especially about traveling companions, were very thoughtful. Thank you.
Scott said…
I brought home rocks from a lava flow in the McKenzie Pass in Oregon last summer - it is a reminder I'll always treasure. Nice play!

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem