RevGals Friday Five Meme: Fab-February

Jan over at RevGals posts this fabulous Friday Five:

1. When February comes along, how do you feel about the coming month? Well, as February is my birthday month... and since I was born the day after Valentine's Day..I tend to like February. I enter the month with a sense of hopefullness for the coming year. And, I started blogging three years ago in anticipation of my 50th birthday and have been blogging ever since - which has definitely been a fun thing to do - and created a whole new life for me with a group of fabulous blogging friends!

2. What memories do you have about Valentine's Day? Are you doing anything to observe it this year? I really loved making Valentines Day boxes out of old shoe boxes. I had fun creating them and I was really concerned with giving everyone in my class a card - and often a little gift as well. Sometimes I'd tape a lollipop to the cards or include candy hearts.

Also, my husband and I got engaged on Valentines Day, 25 years ago. We went to this cozy fireside champagne jazz bar in Chicago to celebrate the night. I don't think either one of us when there with the intention of getting engaged that night - but our conversation definitely led in that direction and so we did. We even set the date that night....for six months later.

3. It is interesting that Monday's "Presidents Day" is not officially called that in every state. It is a U.S. federal holiday entitled "Washington's Birthday." Which is your favorite president and why? I don't know that I have a favorite President....Lincoln of course is significant. And since I lived in Illinois for many years I went to Springfield and visited his house and learned a lot about his life. I also really like Bill Clinton - perhaps because he is the first President I voted for that won and I had such high hopes for him. And, then also, I have similar feelings about Obama - hopeful for his presidency and what his leadership can do for this broken country of ours.

4. Will you be celebrating Shrove Tuesday or Mardi Gras? How? This year, neither....sigh... my husband is working and I won't be at church for the pancake supper. BUT do get to Preside at the 7pm Ash Wed. service...and am grateful for that.

5. Any other ways to celebrate in February? Hey! My birthday, of course...which will last a long time - mostly because my real celebration will take place once we are back in Chicago....I have a couple of favorite restaurants I want to go too....

Bonus: A Lenten book or website you recommend. I like Barbara Brown Taylor's book, "Speaking of Sin" for Lent....

Comments

Well, Happy Birthday...early.

What a lovely story of your engagement. Love some fireside moments with those we love.
Jan said…
I haven't read that book, so maybe it's another one I will look for. . .

Your engagement story is sweet.

And I'm so glad you started blogging--so Happy Blogiversary as well as Happy Birthday next week!
my goodness... what a special valentines day indeed!

*clears throat* happy birthday to you... happy birthday to you... happy birthday to yooooouuuu... your fab in all you do! ta-da!
Sally said…
Happy Birthday :-) , as for that Valentines story that is great :-)
Anonymous said…
Happy birthday.

Have a wonderful day.
Rev SS said…
Happy anniversary days ... engagement, blog .. and especially b'day ... may it be the first day of one of your best years yet!
altar ego said…
Lots of things and reasons to celebrate this month, chief of which is you! I hope you have a delightful birthday and enjoy some sort of valentine squishyness with your hubby.
AutumnJoy said…
Wishing you every blessing on your birthday, and safety in travel as you move toward new beginnings with silver (25 year) support and companionship. And thank you for your blog - I am a regular reader and so appreciate YOU!

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem