Arrive

My husband and have finally arrived in Chicago. It was a long, arduous drive. Well, it was at least for my husband who had to drive the 25 foot truck loaded with our furniture. It was a diesel driven truck with over 101,000 miles. It was slow, noisy, and bumpy. We left Tucson at 2pm Thursday afternoon, having finished loading the truck and cleaning the house. We drove east toward New Mexico and then north toward Albuquerque. That drive, which normally takes 6 hours took us 8 hours, in part because it is a slow up hill grade the entire way. The truck groaned along.

Most disconcerting was the oil pressure gauge which kept dropping to 0 and scaring my husband. Finally, around 10pm, in Albuquerque, we pulled over and called Budget customer care and road side assistance, unsure what to do. They thought we should take it to a registered repair shop Friday morning. So....We spent Thursday night in the car in a Wallmart parking lot. In an effort to be prepared for anything I brought sleeping bags and pillows, thinking we'd be warm enough if we had to stay in the car. But the dogs and cats were not warm and even I got cold as the temps dropped to 28. We clearly had forgotten what it feels like to be in temps below 40...

Friday morning we called road side assistance and got the number for the repair place. We were told that it was probably nothing, just a computer glitch in dash board...and we were also told to just drive on for awhile and see what happens...

Still,we called the repair place and were told that they couldn't see us until maybe late Friday afternoon. So, we decided to go on, and see "what happens." The oil pressure continued to fluctuate and so we stopped once again in Santa Rosa, NM and called Budget road side assistance, again. This time, after talking to my husband, the agent told us to just "drive the truck." (I got the impression he was a little irritated with us...)So. We did. And, like I said, it was slow, arduous, shaky...my husband literally shook from head to toe whenever we stopped for gas or a break.

As a result the 1800 mile trip took us three days and three nights, but the second two nights we made sure we found hotels that would take pets, places where we could sleep in beds, rest, and shower. The animals were real troopers - travelled amazingly well.

Soon I will write about the book on CD I listened too on the trip - it was a really good book and made the trip "enjoyable" for me despite my worry for my husband in the truck that we came to call the "beast."

Now the beast has been returned to Budget. All of our things are in storage, except the few items we need to live. We are settled in with our daughter, and beginning to recover.

Comments

Di McCullough said…
Holy cow! That is really rough-- I'm so glad everyone's OK.
So glad you have arrived. I "checked again" today to see if you had posted an update. Love the kitty photo and blogskin as well.
Gannet Girl said…
What a grueling beginning.

I love the kitty picture, too.
Jan said…
What an ordeal. So glad you are finally back home.
oy! glad you made it! wished we were closer... maybe someday... then we can have wine and laugh, and laugh at life's adventures... or uhm sometimes cry too...
Anonymous said…
I am very glad that you have arrived safely, especially after so arduous a journey.
Anonymous said…
what a pain! it's amazing that you were trying to not only protect yourselves but Budget's "beast" and the guy was irriated with you! crazy!

glad you are settled in and recovering.

no more of "those" days!

as for missing a post--probably. i interviewed with our Board of Ordained Ministry and it didn't go so well. I sat through 4 30+ minute interviews with 4 interviewers in each session--call & discipleship, sacraments & worship, doctrine & theology, and proclamation. good things came out of 3 of the 4 for me. but they asked me to come back next year which is sort of a drag but next year i will rock it! that's my long-story sorta short.

love you!
altar ego said…
So glad you have arrived safe and sound, if "all shook up" from the journey itself. Rest well and breathe deep. Blessings.
Barbara B. said…
Yikes, what a trip. Glad you made it!
Mary Beth said…
Grateful you are home. Sorry it was such an arduous journey. Budget is off my list forever!

hugs.
Jennifer said…
Sigh of relief from here. So glad you made it safely.

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem