Monday Morning Musings: Random thoughts

Yesterday was my first Sunday back in the pulpit, so to speak. We have three services in the summer (one being a popular out-door service that is short and lively). The services in the summer are all casual, I don't use the pulpit.

It was the first time in awhile that I have preached and presided at all three services, the Curate being on a much needed vacation. Fourteen years of doing this work, and still I was unbelievable tapped out Sunday afternoon. It amazes me to realize, from time to time, just how much energy is spent leading and preaching worship. Following the services I took the dogs for a walk and then went to two hours of yoga. One was a regular yoga class, the other was a "restorative" yoga class. I have done this many times in the past, but yesterday I was particularly struck by how hard it was to move. All I really wanted to do was go to sleep. So I went to bed early and slept for nine hours.

My seventeen year old cat seemed to be in distress last week. I called to make an appointment to put her down. The next day she rallied forth so I cancelled the appointment. She's not doing great, but she still seems to enjoy her life well enough. Maybe this is like hospice care for cats? There is definitely a change in her but for now she is not manifesting the signs or symptoms of a cat in pain.

Our garden is flourishing this year - it's really amazingly beautiful. I'm particularly enjoying the lettuce, kale, zucchini and cucumbers! I do hope we have some warm sunny days to push the green tomatoes and ripen them. Everything else is coming along.

Monday's are my day for washing bed linens and hanging them on the line to dry. It's so wonderful to climb into bed on Monday nights with fresh linens.

Recently I've managed to lose seven pounds, maybe a bit more. I don't have a scale so I don't really know. I did check my weight at my daughter's house a few weeks ago, indicating seven pounds lost. I don't think I've really lost any more since then, wedding festivities and all. Losing seven pounds though may be good enough. I did it by eliminating most of the sugar and refined carbs in my diet, which were making me feel fatigued and irritable. My clothes fit better and I feel better about myself.  My hair is basically its natural color. I'm wearing it longer, loose and natural, allowing the curl to pop. I'm using some sunless tanner so my skin looks slightly healthier, less pasty white. I feel good.

Today, in addition to laundry, I'll do some work in the garden and clean the house. We'll walk the dogs. I plan to read, rest, and knit. It's Monday, my day off, and this is what I'm musing on.

You? What does your day hold for you? Something pleasant, I hope.

 

Comments

Kris said…
Fridays are my day off, so I am in the office. This is the first week (and only week) in ages that I haven't had multiple meetings about diocesan stuff. Today I am consumed with finalizing the bulletin and all the attendant details for our diocesan celebration of the 40th anniversary of women's ordination next Tuesday.

Summer is going by SO fast. In a little less than a month I have 2.5 weeks off and then it's fall startup time.....wow. Just registered for a fall class at GTS and for Trinity Institute in January (which sounds excellent this year!)

Happy Monday!
Summer really is flying by! I am trying really hard to enjoy every minute. How lovely, Kris, that you can take classes at GTS! Enjoy your time off!
hotcuplutheran said…
It is another blasted hot & humid day in the midwest. I am at the computer in the air conditioning... because it's just not fit for man, woman, nor beast. Although Lucky Latte did get a walk this morning.
Jimmy McLemore said…
It is a typical hot and sticky summer day in Alabama. We are hosting for three weeks the 19-year-old son of a friend of a friend from Provence France. He never complains - of the heat, the meaty meals, or the politics. He has immersed here to improve his conversational English, but we are the ones benefitting most from this arrangement. He is tall, dark and handsome, and when he breaks into French, the girls among my son's friends swoon. I'm not in France, but it sure feels like I am.

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem