Friday Five: Thanksgiving

Jan, over at the RevGals blog offers this Friday Five meme:

Since I am going out of town for the weekend, I am seeing Thanksgiving suddenly approaching in the USA six days away–order food or buy it to cook?? That will be decided next week if I’m not in a funk:
The Cure
Lying around all day
with some strange new deep blue
weekend funk, I’m not really asleep
when my sister calls
to say she’s just hung up
from talking with Aunt Bertha
who is 89 and ill but managing
to take care of Uncle Frank
who is completely bed ridden.
Aunt Bert says
it’s snowing there in Arkansas,
on Catfish Lane, and she hasn’t been
able to walk out to their mailbox.
She’s been suffering
from a bad case of the mulleygrubs.
The cure for the mulleygrubs,
she tells my sister,
is to get up and bake a cake.
If that doesn’t do it, put on a red dress.–Ginger Andrews (from Hurricane Sisters)
So this Friday before Thanksgiving, think about Aunt Bert and how she’ll celebrate Thanksgiving! And how about YOU?
 
1. What is your cure for the “mulleygrubs”? First of all, I love the term "mulleygrubs." It just seems so fitting and needs no defining. My cure for mullegrubs is usually exercise of some kind - I process life-stuff physically, so moving helps. I ride the exercise bike, or take a walk (not so much in the winter, however), and as often as possible, I go to yoga. Moving always helps me. 
2. Where will you be for Thanksgiving? This year will be my husband, son, and me. We'll cut down a Christmas tree in the morning, watch the parade, have a leisurely afternoon, and then go out for dinner about 4pm. It's seems like a nice idea to not cook since it's just three of us. 
3. What foods will be served? Which are traditional for your family? The restaurant is serving the usual meal plus something they are calling cocoa crusted pork roast - that sounds intriguing.....
4. What do you wish could be deleted (or added) to your traditional Thanksgiving day? I wish my husband didn't have to work retail and leave early Friday morning for a full and crazy day of work. The retail industry is out of control. We were never the type to run out for a bargain on Thanksgiving or the day afterward. We have had a long tradition of going to a movie the day after....
5. In this season of Thanksgiving, what are you grateful for? I am thankful for my family, for health, and the opportunities to grow spiritually and emotionally, which have come my way this year.
BONUS: Describe Aunt Bert’s Thanksgiving. No doubt Aunt Bert's Thanksgiving will include a lot of delicious homemade food, and a red dress. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem