A prayer on an early morning in autumn




I wish I could capture the gentle morning light
soft lavender and pink, caressing the green trees
that hold a hint of fall, a little red and yellow

I wish I could capture the peace of early light
the song of birds waking and rabbits nibbling clover
signs that life goes on no matter the angst of humans

I wish I could hold the beauty of this world
before all the anger and angst and fear of people
and say, all will be well if we but love one another

I wish I could hold the love that God has 
for God's creatures and creation as an embrace
a holding place of calm and peace and grace

I wish I could carry everyone in this holding place
and soothe the worries with a gentle touch to furrowed brows
with a pat on the back and soothing sway, like calming babies

I wish that each one of us could look at one's self
and wonder, how could I be different? What is being triggered in me?
Instead of casting out anxiety, taking time to understand self.

I wish for a world of that embraces the rich diversity of life
and holds it as a sign of God's creativity, made in God's vast image
I wish that the beauty of this world defined who we are and how we are.

This I pray, on an early morning, as the sun slowly rises,
the night fades, and a new day begins. 

Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem