There are words inside....



There are words inside of me,
challenging, difficult words
emotional, reactive words
words that reveal my fear
words that rise up again
because I am confronted
with old emotions, long resolved - 
or so I thought - 
which need to be worked through
again.

What do I do with these words?
If I keep them inside will they fester?
If I say them out loud will they 
be heard as a hope to deepen understanding
and not just complaining or whining or
being the kind of person who keeps
bleeding out words of pain -
you know that kind of pain, 
over and over until we all 
wonder when that person 
will grow up and gain insight 
and maturity and maybe some
reconciliation.

Yeah. Those words.
And those feelings. 

Sure. I can hand the words 
over to God. 
I can do my part to be
fully aware of their impact on me,
the way that the words are honest
and real.

And the way that words are reactive
and immature and reveal work still
to be done.

What to do with these words?

I cannot say them out loud.
I cannot put them in writing,
at least not publicly.

The words themselves
are too risky, too vulnerable
connected to an old pain,
an old hurt, 
a place where that hurt
could be hurt again,
because the person
of this hurt
has the power to do that
to me, 
and so
the words and
a place inside
 that has been
reactivated. 

A place I thought I'd put behind me,
but has been ripped open again.

I can only put them into prayer.
These are words for God only.
With the hope that God
will transform these words
of fear and despair
into peace.

I have work to do,
which begins today, 
and will be work 
for years to come.

And only God can
help me with it.

Amen.

Comments

Lisa :-] said…
Poetry is a great vehicle for those kinds of words/feelings. Where essays can sometimes feel preachy or shrill, poetry is the language that bubbles up from deep in the heart.

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem