What if...

At the northern tip of Lake Michigan, 
Having just crossed the magnificent bridge
And turned west onto highway 2
I gasped at the beauty 
Blues and teals glimmering
As the tips of waves caught the sun
through tree-lined marshes
The lake spread out before me
I yearned to get a kayak and move through it.

Settling in I briefly looked down
To adjust the AC in the car
Then looked up and there you were
Your eye met mine 
And I was certain we were about to collide

This beautiful deer, crossing the road
That had been built across
Ancient sacred deer land, 
The highway of threat
And there we were eye to eye

I gasped, stepped on the brake,
And braced myself.
You, already running fast
Increased your speed 
And leapt off the road
Into the trees and were gone.

The collision in my mind did not happen.
Your strength and beauty and grace pulled
You away from an almost horrible collision
And off you went to carry on your day.
I drove on, shaken, weeping.
What if? 

Comments

Cheap Flights said…
Good blog. Having great knowledgeful content. What about for cheap flights Must checkout the website for-cheapflights.com
cheap flights to florida
cheap flights to new york
cheap tickets
flight tickets
flights to vegas
flights to miami Compare all flight fare under one roof.

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem