Morning, Morning Time

A month ago I was finishing the first week of my broken up mini-sabbatical time. After twenty years of working in parish ministry I was finally provided with 14 weeks of sabbatical. I broke up three weeks of it over about six months for some intensive study to gain knowledge and tools for intentional intercultural ministry. This is important in many contexts, but particularly relevant for the one I serve in. I had planned to take 9 weeks this summer broken into about three section: two weeks in Ireland followed by two weeks in the upper peninsula of Michigan. Then a week home where I’d check back in on the congregations and our Partnership in Faith initiative, followed by three weeks at an airbnb on Lake Erie, then a week home to check in on the PiF, then a few more weeks off. Instead I am only taking five weeks this summer which will leave me about six weeks for next summer. My trip to Ireland was rescheduled so if things in the world improve I will do that next year and cobble together more time for sabbatical. 

Anyway, I had a lovely two weeks away in July, spending 8 days in Marquette, MI on Lake Superior, and a few days in Sister Bay, WI, and a few days at home. Then I worked for three weeks, and am now beginning a few more weeks away. I found a little airbnb about an hour from home. This makes it easy for family to visit but also for me to have a lot time alone to rest, read, and paint icons. This airbnb is a beautiful little cottage, well appointed and positioned on an inlet lake off of Lake Erie. I can watch the sun rise and set over the water. Water fowl are plentiful, black cormorants, blue heron, ducks and geese. I can kayak if I want to. 


This morning I work to a beautiful sunrise. I made coffee and read a bit about St. Brigid of Ireland from Jan Richardson’s book, In the Sanctuary of Women. I sat and watched the sunrise. 


This end of the inlet has experienced an algae bloom in the last few days as the current has moved all the algae into this nook. It tends to dissipate during the day and with the cooler nights I hope it thins out. But whatever, it’s water ecology. 

Later today I will begin painting the same icon I worked on in July, a version of Jesus the Pantocrator, (ruler of all). I want to play with the acrylic paints to see if I can make his face more translucent. Yesterday I drew, free hand, the image on the gessoed board. Then I engraved the lines with a sharp wood carving knife so I can find the outlines of section after I apply paint. Here is the drawing on the board:



I’ve watched lots of YouTube videos on drawing faces, hands, bodies in proportion, and practiced on paper before I drew this. Not to bad for a novice artist. 

Here is the icon I’ll be referring to for colors and lighting, although I am also referring to Joseph Malham’s book, “Drawing Closer to Christ: A self-guided icon retreat”. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem