Time

 During the eight days of the first leg of this mini-sabbatical and during the nineteen days of this leg, I have made it my intention to slow down, to let time just unfold. I have spent countless hours sitting in a chair observing the water as it shifts and noticing the algae bloom as it moves and reveals the current of the water. I have spent countless hours being attentive to the Great Blue Heron, and captured it’s statuesque beauty in photos. I have laughed at the squirrels and given thanks every morning when the baby rabbit appears with the mom. I have been awe struck by the beauty of the morning sun rising over the water and the graceful colors of nature in morning: pale pink, blue, green. I have read, and painted icons, and been still. I have tried to let time just unfold, to let time be long and leisurely. 

And yet, time has flown by. I am almost packed. Soon I will load the car, tighten the cables holding the kayaks in place on the roof, and lock the door behind me. By noon I will be home. I have a few more days off before I return to the office. This sabbatical time has not been free of work, there has still been some really important things happening that I have had to stay in conversation with. My mind has not left work behind, but it has slowed down, and I have thought less about work. I have been more fluid, which I think is my natural state. 

This time has been a gift. I am so grateful to have found this place and to have had the resources, thanks to some sabbatical funds, to stay here. I know many people do not get sabbaticals. I wish more of us had this gift in life. I also know that parish ministry is consuming and demanding and exhausting and exhilarating in a way that other jobs I have held have not been. Sabbaticals and long breaks are important because one needs time to unwind and let go and move into a different kind of interior space, to breath. 

This morning I pray the prayer from Jan Richardson’s book, In the Sanctuary of Women (St. Brigid)

That your soul may live
In the cycles it needs.
That time may work
It’s wisdom in you.
Repetition, return,
Reverie, and test;
May the heart 
Of each moment 
Open to you.
May time spiral well for you,
Leading you around
And around yet again
To the landscapes where remembering
Offer redemption and grace. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem