Sabbatical Day 13: Leaving Scotland


 When I arrived in Scotland on July 30 I had no idea I’d still be here, more than two weeks later. Some things I will miss about Scotland: 
The quaint television program I watched on ALBA.

 Men in kilts. In the states I had only seem men in kilts when they were play the bagpipes at a funeral. But here, men walk around in kilts on a regular basis. I’ve seen very formal kilts, like the one worn at a funeral I walked past this morning. And, I’ve seen much more casual kilt attire with gym shoes. It’s just one of those ordinary things here.

 The wild landscape on the coast and the many many many lochs, or bodies of water all over the place. Scotland is very moist. Every day was in the 60’s but it felt like it was in the ‘80’s because of the humidity. 

 What I won’t miss: the awful coffee in the hotels. But, at least I had a Starbucks nearby, so for a portion of the time here I bought coffee at Starbucks.

 This morning I left Scotland to begin the London leg of this trip. I was only supposed to be in London for a day, but now I will be here for 4 days. Traveling here was super easy, just a long day. A few days ago I went online and purchased my ticket to Oban and then the ticket from Oban to London. The train trip was incredibly easy. I caught the first train in Oban at 12:11. That trip took 3.5 hours. We arrived in Glasgow at 3:41. 

My next train, an express train to Edinburgh, was scheduled to leave at 3:45. I was a little anxious about making this connection, and made sure I was off the first train directly. On the platform I asked one of the attendants about the Edinburgh train and he told me that it wasn’t in yet. But as he was saying that, the Edinburgh train was pulling into the station. We boarded that train and it took off minutes later and we arrive in Edinburgh about 15 minutes before the train to London was scheduled to leave. In Edinburgh I found the kiosk that posted arriving and departing trains and their platforms. It took a couple of minutes for the London train to be assigned a platform. But once it was I made my way to it and found my car and my reserved seat. It was super easy. 

The train to London was fast, smooth, and comfortable. We zoomed past the ocean on the border of Scotland and England, and across many fields and farms. 







 Arriving in London, Kings Cross station, was everything I imagined it would be: very busy, very crowded, and dark because it was now almost 10pm. 

I found the taxi queue and waited for a cab to take me to my hotel. In the hotel I asked about meals and was told that the restaurant was closing shortly, and I should go directly to it, if I wanted food. Which I did. 

The manager, or bar tended, what ever his position, let me in, even though they were clearly in closing mode. I’ve worked in restaurants and I know how difficult it is to take in new customers once closing mode is in gear. But, he let me in and directed me to a table. 

I had a tuna Nicoise salad with a glass of white wine. The salad was goo, a nice filet of tuna, small boiled white potatoes, green beans, and greens. 

While there, a woman rushed in with two kids. She had been on a delayed train and needed to feed her kids. Again, although  the kitchen was closed and the staff cleaning up, they nonetheless made chips (fries) for the kids (two teen, or pre-teen girls). They were given cokes to drink and the mom had a glass of wine. She told me a bit about her travels. Seems she had gotten on the wrong train, headed in the wrong direction as she made here way back from Paris to Scotland. That train had been terribly delayed and she ended up with a vouchers to spend the night in London before heading north again in the morning. I told her about my travels through Scotland, COVID, and the missed retreat in Ireland. I wished her well.  Then I left to go up to my room and call it a day.

 Once again I have the worst view out my window. Fourth hotel, fourth crummy room with no view. And unfortunately I left my allergy pillow covers in Scotland, so this morning my allergies from the dust mites in this room are also awful. Maybe I can find a place to purchase some pillow covers? And, the bathroom sink won’t drain. But I do have a small fridge in the room so I can get a little food. There are some markets near by. I’m about a twenty minute walk to St. Paul’s Cathedral and the river. I’ll start there.

 So, . I need to get out of here and go walking, getting oriented, and find some coffee. It’s cloudless sunny day, it will be good to get out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem