Sabbatical Day 5: Ancestors

 Day 5, August 2: This morning was quiet. I went down to the first floor dining area for a cup of my coffee blend about 6:30. The dining area was quiet so I stayed and had a small bowl of plain yogurt with fruit compote and the coffee blend I’ve designed to create an almost decent cup of coffee, for machine coffee. I spent the rest of the morning in my room listening to an audible book and knitting. I took breaks and did some hand wash - a pair of jeans and two blouses that I’ve worn for travel days. I figure they will probably air dry by the time I need to wear them on Thursday. If not, there’s an iron and ironing board that can speed the drying along. 


About 11:30 I headed out of the hotel and across the street for the Buchannan Bus station. Very convenient and super easy to get on and pay for my bus to Galston. The bus ride took 40 minutes and I was met by a Facebook friend, Kristina, and her husband. Kristina is the Presbyterian minister of the Church of Scotland church in Galston, the old family church. She drove us from Kilmarnock to Galston, a short distance, where we had lunch in a local pub. I had (of course) fish and chips and a fizzy water with some kind of fruity flavoring, I don’t remember what it was, but it was good. 







After lunch I had a tour of the church and the graveyard on the land. The graveyard is maintained by “the council” not the church. All of the tombstones have been laid flat so that they can easily mow the grass and they are covered with moss, impossible to read. But, there is a pamphlet with a good list of who is buried in the church cemetery. James Boyd of Glasgow is in plot #18. He was born October 28, 1776 and died October 10, 1851. So, quite possible a relative. Elizabeth and Archibald Morton are also buried in the cemetery. Elizabeth died around 1804. Neither of these appear to be a direct ancestor, but there still may have been a family connection of some sort since people had 14 or more children in these days. 








After touring the church and grave site we drove up a ways to the Galston public cemetery. There we found more people named Steel and Morton, but none that appear to be a direct relation to my family, Jane Morton Boyd Steel. Nonetheless, it was lovely to be on the land, or near the land, where my ancestors are from. 












I understand why they left, but my imagination runs wild at the thought of what life might have been if they had not. Kristina drove me through a small, nearby town, that still has a mill with weaving and lace making, my family’s occupation before leaving Galston. I have some of the lace made by one of my great grandmothers, but it is unclear who made it. I also have an embroidery piece that I think was made by my mother’s father’s mother. (This great grandmother I knew and was quite fond of, she died when I was 19. She was a gardener and Christian Scientist, and she loved to play the piano and sing). 


It was about 3:45 in the afternoon when Kristina dropped me off at the bus station. I quickly found the correct bus and boarded. We left about 5 minutes later, timing being perfect! The ride back to Glasgow was easy, although I was a bit drowsy. 







Leaving the bus station I stopped in at the nearby grocery store and purchased a Caesar salad with chicken and a bag of five double chocolate cookies and headed to the hotel across the street. As has become my evening routine, I showered, at the salad with a glass of the Pinot noir that I had from the night before. Now I’m drinking a cup of herbal tea and enjoying a chocolate cookie. Tomorrow I plan to head to Glasgow University and their Hunterian Museum. I plan to walk over, about 30 minutes. I tour the museums (art and history) and then walk back the southern route planning to walk down Argyle Street (and maybe shop), perhaps go back to the Willow Tea rooms for another afternoon tea. 

Comments

Unknown said…
I can't wait to share this with dad. He's going to love it. I miss grandma, I used to love to listen to her play the piano. Grandpa always stood there watching her, he seemed so proud of her.

Popular posts from this blog

The Bleeding-heart: a poem by Mary Oliver

A Funeral Sermon: Healed by Love

Luke: A Mary Oliver Poem